Logo

Catch the Trading Post weekdays 10:30-11 on 92.1FM
Join Gus on Saturdays 10-2 on WKUL
Join Sam Alex with Taste of Country Nights on WKUL 6-12
Join Big D and Bubba 5-9 in the morning on 92.1 FM
What's New
Sports
Subscribe To This Feed

Rob Carr/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice wants a second chance.

On Tuesday, Rice told ESPN's Outside the Lines he hoped the NFL would give him a second chance since his domestic violence clash with his wife.

Last year, surveillance video surfaced showing Rice punching his then fiancée now wife inside an Atlantic City casino elevator. Rice said he thought NFL teams were hesitant to sign him because of it.

"I understand how real it is, and I don't wanna ever, you know, take that for granted cause it's a real issue in our society and you know my video you know put the light out there if you never seen what domestic violence looks like and you look at my video I can understand  why some people will never forgive me," Rice said to ESPN.

Rice also told ESPN he didn't want his decisions to affect his daughter.

"Some people probably will never forgive my actions," Rice told ESPN. "But I think that every step that I took going forward right now, you know, over time I wanna be able to rewrite the script to tell my daughter Daddy made the worst decision of his life."

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Sports Studio Photos/Getty Images(PEPPER PIKE, Ohio) -- Here's how Joltin' Joe became Mr. Coffee.

The creator of the famed coffee machines died Saturday at age 91, but one of his favorite stories was how he roped in the famed former Yankee Joe DiMaggio to be a spokesman in the mid-1970s.

"It was during the early days of Mr. Coffee and he felt he had a tiger by the tail," Sue Parente, the daughter of creator Vincent Marotta, said of her father, who died at his home in Pepper Pike, Ohio. "Sales were good, but to really make it a national brand, they needed a spokesman who people could relate to."

Marotta, who had signed with the St. Louis Cardinals but was called to serve in World War II before spring training, was a "big fan of Joe DiMaggio," Parente said. He played football briefly with the Cleveland Browns in the late 1940s and continued to play golf "very competitively through his 80s," his daughter notes.

When the real estate market showed signs of slowing in the early 1970s, Marotta, who had six children and 11 grandchildren, began trying to determine why coffee made at home didn't taste as good as restaurant coffee. It took him two years to create the Mr. Coffee machine with his high school friend Samuel Glazer. They co-founded North American Systems and brought the machine to market in 1972.

A few years later, he went looking for a pitchman.

"He worked his network," his daughter said. He eventually learned a friend had a connection to former Red Sox player Dom DiMaggio, the youngest of the three DiMaggio brothers. When Marotta finally got the eldest DiMaggio's phone number, "He called him cold turkey," Parente said, and he was shocked that "Mr. DiMaggio answered."

"At that time, Mr. DiMaggio really shied away from the limelight," Parente said. "He was a private fellow but amazingly they got connected."

It just so happened DiMaggio was familiar with the Mr. Coffee machine because he had just won a device in a golf tournament.

"He knew it, which surprised my dad, because it was new," Parente said. "My dad said, 'I would love for you to be my spokesman,' but he turned him down. He said, 'Thank you very much, but it’s not what I do.'"

But Marotta wasn't ready to throw in the towel. The next day, Parente's parents flew to San Francisco and called DiMaggio again to have lunch.

"By the end of the lunch, they had a handshake and it was done. There were no lawyers -- just two men who agreed to do it," Parente said. "That really allowed the coffee maker to take off with Joe DiMaggio as spokesman.

"It was one of my dad’s favorite stories because he couldn’t understand why he did it. They were both two Italian-Americans and they kind of clicked."

In one of DiMaggio's commercials from 1978, the New York Yankees slugger said, "Everyone would love to have Mr. Coffee. It's America's number one coffee maker," DiMaggio said in the ad. "Mr. Coffee with 'coffee saver' brews delicious coffee fast and it saves coffee too."

Parente said that her father was "very proud of all the jobs he could create in northern Ohio."

She also recalled her father's many accomplishments outside business, including charitable contributions to the Cleveland Foundation and Cleveland Food Bank.

"He was a member of that greatest generation where they got things done," Parente said. "He started with very little but accomplished so much."

The family will have a private wake on Friday and a funeral mass on Saturday.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images(TORONTO) -- Major League Baseball suspends Aaron Sanchez and manager John Gibbons.

MLB announced on Tuesday that Toronto Blue Jays pitcher Aaron Sanchez was suspended for three games and given an undisclosed fine for an incident on Sunday. Manager John Gibbons was also suspended for one game.

On Sunday's game between the Kansas City Royals and the Toronto Blue Jays, MLB deemed Sanchez had intentionally thrown at Royals shortstop Alcides Escobar in the eighth inning.

The throw came after two Blue Jays batters had been hit by pitches including third baseman Josh Donaldson in the first inning and shortstop Troy Tulowitzki in the seventh inning. Gibbons was ejected after Tulowitzki's hit, but came back on the field in the eighth inning when a fight broke out between the two teams.

According to ESPN, Gibbons will serve his suspension for Tuesday night's game against the Minnesota Twins, but Sanchez has chosen to appeal his penalty and will be available for the game.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Courtesy of Jessica Thomas-Johnson(CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.) -- A youth basketball coach in Virginia is threatening a lawsuit after he says his team of 11-and-under players was disqualified from a national tournament because they have a girl on the team.

Joe Mallory, the head coach of the Charlottesville Cavaliers, says he was told Saturday, moments after a win that advanced the team to the semi-finals, that his team was disqualified from the National Travel Basketball Association’s National Championship tournament.

The reason for the disqualification, both Mallory and the NTBA agree, is that Mallory’s team in the boys' tournament gave playing time to a girl, a 10-year-old named Kymora Johnson.

The NTBA hosts both a girls’ and a boys’ National Championship tournament and does not allow mixed-gender teams to compete at the national level.

Mallory claims the gender eligibility requirements are not clear on the NTBA’s website and says that no one from the NTBA communicated to him before the tournament that Kymora would not be allowed to play.

“I said, ‘You checked us in. We went through the whole process,’” Mallory told ABC News he said to NTBA president John Whitley upon learning of his team’s disqualification. “They already knew that she was a female from the check-in.”

“They go through an interview process with the staff of the NTBA and they ask them questions,” he added. “She had on a pink bow and had her hair down. They knew she was a girl.”

Whitley contends that Mallory was told by NTBA officials when the team checked in for the tournament that Kymora, as well as another 6-year-old girl on the team, would not be allowed to play in tournament games.

He says NTBA officials allowed Kymora to join the team at tournament games because she had traveled to the Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, tournament. The NTBA had to disqualify the Cavaliers, according to Whitley, after Kymora got playing time in two separate games.

“The head coach was notified that girls cannot play on a boys team for our National Championship,” Whitley told ABC News in a statement. "He acknowledged this and said no problem to us. This was done during the team check-in process before any games were played. It is also posted on our website.”

The NTBA’s gender-specific team requirement currently is listed on the association's website, under the “Other Info” tab and then “Other Rules/Regulations" and "Roster Rules."

Mallory contends that if it is the NTBA’s rule for players, it should be listed under the “Eligibility Info” tab of the website and made clearer to players and coaches.

“We have 11 other kids on the team that felt like they got robbed,” said Mallory, who added that his request to allow the team to continue in the tournament without Kymora was also denied.

“Kymora only played about five minutes total in all five games and only scored three points,” he said. “Yes, it’s a girl issue but it’s a team. We’re a family. It’s not just one person that made that team.”

The co-founder of the Charlottesville Cavaliers league that oversees Mallory's team told ABC News there are other all-girl teams that Kymora could have played on in the Charlottesville area, but added that which team you play for often depends on family and friend connections.

Kymora's only other female teammate, the 6-year-old girl, for example, has an older brother on the same Cavaliers' team.

“In my opinion, it was just a huge confluence of events and a huge miscommunication,” the league's co-founder, Waki Wynn, told ABC News. "We don’t feel as if NTBA did anything inappropriate or anything malicious to us and, at the same time, we don’t feel like our coach was trying to cheat or skirt the rules."

Mallory told ABC News he is still pursuing legal options against the NTBA, but declined to identify his attorney.

Kymora's mother, Jessica Thomas-Johnson, told ABC News that her daughter started playing basketball at the age of three and joined the Cavaliers because she "wanted to compete" by the ages of five and six and that was the only team available at the time.

"Just in the last year or so have other options with girls' teams become available," Thomas-Johnson said. "But the Cavaliers are her home and this is more than just a team. This is a family."

As for why the team is going public with their disappointment with the NTBA, Thomas-Johnson says the decision the association made was not fair to the team.

"The point is just getting it out there so people can offer support to this team and these coaches and these families that all invested at least eight months, or years, of their lives in getting to this big, season-ending tournament," she said. "And to have left so unfulfilled and for such an unjust reason, I think that there’s definitely some responsibility on their [NTBA] end that I feel like they’re now failing to accept."

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

John Tlumacki/The Boston Globe via Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Tom Brady and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell will both attend a settlement hearing in New York City regarding the "Deflategate" scandal next week, sources tell ESPN.

The Aug. 12 hearing comes after Goodell upheld the New England Patriots quarterback's four-game suspension.

"I did nothing wrong, and no one in the Patriots organization did either," Brady said in a Facebook post after Goodell's decision. "Despite submitting to hours of testimony over the past 6 months, it is disappointing that the Commissioner [Roger Goodell] upheld my suspension based upon a standard that it was 'probable' that I was 'generally aware' of misconduct."

The NFL players union filed an appeal of Goodell's decision in Minnesota Federal Court but the federal judge there ordered that the lawsuit be transferred to New York, where the NFL had filed a preemptive strike.

U.S. District Judge Richard Berman "continues to encourage the sides to reach a settlement in the matter of Brady's four-game suspension," ESPN reports.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Matthew Stockman/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Ronda Rousey is making big headlines with the announcement that she’s set to star in a biopic based on her life inside the ring, with Carl’s Jr. also confirming to ABC News that she is their newest ad’s star. All of this is coming on the heels of Rousey’s earth-shattering UFC victory, downing her opponent in only 34 seconds.

But out of the arena, Rousey, 28, is speaking out against a different kind of opponent: Body-shamers.

“Ronda Rousey is disgustingly manly,” one person tweeted before her big fight. “How can people find her attractive?”

“Ronda Rousey is not sexy to me. Her features are manly,” another wrote.

USA Today sports columnist and ABC News contributor Christine Brennan, said, “This is a grandfather’s critique of a current-day athlete."

In the series UFC 190 Embedded, posted right before her big match this weekend, Rousey fought back.

“I think it’s hilarious, like, people say that my body looks masculine,” she said. “I think it’s femininely badass, because there’s not a single muscle in my body that isn’t for a purpose.”

The knockout star shows how body-proud she is in Sports Illustrated's most recent swimsuit edition and in ESPN’s 2012 Body Issue.

Now, especially after the aftermath of her win, the conversation is changing. Those negative tweets are being replaced with an onslaught of positive ones.

“She is absolutely beautiful,” one person tweeted.

“@RondaRousey is such a boss,” wrote another.

Brennan said, “Look at the money Ronda Rousey is making. Look at the fan base she has, look at the social media presence she has. This woman is on fire.”

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Scoreboard Roundup — 8/3/15(NEW YORK) — Here are the latest scores and winners:

INTERLEAGUE
Seattle 8, Colorado 7

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Toronto 5, Minnesota 1
Texas 12, Houston 9
Tampa Bay 5, Chi White Sox 4
Baltimore 9, Oakland 2
L.A. Angels 5, Cleveland 4

NATIONAL LEAGUE
Arizona 6, Washington 4
N-Y Mets 12, Miami 1
Atlanta 9, San Francisco 8, 12 Innings
San Diego 13, Milwaukee 5
Chi Cubs at Pittsburgh, (7:05 p.m., postponed, rain)

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Jared C. Tilton/NASCAR via Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Could a Clint Bowyer and Martin Truex Jr. reunion be in the cards?

Bowyer teased it during a Twitter Q&A he conducted during a plane ride on Sunday. When asked by a fan if he was on the plane with a future teammate, Bowyer replied, "Maybe. @MartinTruex_Jr."

The two were once teammates at Michael Waltrip Racing for two seasons. Bowyer remains with MWR, but Truex is now with Furniture Row Racing.

Truex is fifth in the Sprint Cup point standings. Bowyer is 14th.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

DC Shoes(PAPEETE, Tahiti) -- Tahiti is a surfer’s paradise. Now, it’s paradise for stunt rider Robbie Maddison.

Maddison, who partnered with DC Shoes, was able to fulfill a three-year dream and ride a modified-motorcycle across the waves on Tahiti’s shore.

The dramatic video below shows Maddison zooming through a rainforest before trading solid ground for water.

He enters the water at full speed and manages to zoom across the surface with water spraying up from behind the bike.

Maddison, an X Games medalist and world-record holding athlete, speeds past surfers into an oncoming wave. It looks like he had barely enough speed to outrun the wave, but he makes it out, with his dirt bike aiming straight for shore.

Maddison worked with DC to modify his dirt bike and add skis to the front and back wheels. The bike also has airbags, activated if Maddison pulls the lever, to keep the bike from sinking to the bottom of the ocean if he crashed.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



Subscribe To This Feed

Ezra Shaw/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Will James Harden be making the switch from Nike to Adidas?

The latter has offered the Houston Rockets shooting guard a 13-year, $200 million endorsement deal, sources tell ESPN.

The bid comes after Nike's contract with Harden expired. The company now has until the end of next week to offer a similar contract or risk losing him, ESPN reports.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

0
comments



On Facebook


Weather



Mobile Apps


On Twitter
LinkedUpRadio Envisionwise Web Services